Warrington Disability Partnership

Concessions and Support in Warrington

We have collected information about some of the main Concessions and Support available to disabled people living in the Warrington area. Please let us know if there is anything missing from the list, or if you need more information.

Blue Badge Parking concession for disabled people available to people who have considerable difficulty with walking or are blind. For a more detailed criteria or application form contact Social Services on 01925 444239.

RADAR Toilet Key Disabled people may need to use a Unisex wheelchair accessible (disabled) toilet. Most of these toilets are accessible via the National (RADAR) key. Keys can be purchased from our Shopmobility service located within the Golden Square Tel 01925 231941 or our Mobility and Independent Living Store in Sankey Street Tel 01925 416624 or Centre for Independent Living off Evelyn Street 01925 240064.

BT Free Directory Enquiries If you can't read or hold the phone book due to an impairment, illness or disability, you can apply for free 195 directory enquiries. You can be connected to the number found at the same rate as if you'd dialled it yourself. Registered customers also don't pay the BT 1471 and BT 1571 call return fee, which we usually charge on top of call charges. For an application form, call the registration team on 0800 587 0195 or visit www.bt.com

Council Tax Reductions A one band reduction or a discount may be available if a resident has a severe disability, uses a wheelchair, has a room adapted and/or is predominantly used by a disabled person. A reduction may be available to a live in carer who is not directly related to the disabled person. Contact Warrington Borough Council - Council Tax Office on 01925 443210.

Television licence discount TYou can get 50% off the cost of your TV licence if either: youíre registered blind or severely sight impaired or you live with someone who is registered blind or severely sight impaired. Tel 0300 790 6071 or visit www.tvlicensing.co.uk

Road Tax Exemption is available to people who are receiving the higher rate of mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) formerly known as Disability Living Allowance. The vehicle must be registered in the name of the disabled person or in the name of the nominee. A 50% may be available for those in receipt of the lower rate mobility component. For more details visit www.gov.uk

Dial a Ride A local charity providing accessible door to door transport for disabled and older people. For an application form and/or more details Telephone 01925 419988.

Wheelchair Voucher Scheme are available from the Warrington Wheelchair Assessment Centre operated by Bridgewater Community NHS Trust. A voucher valued to the cost of a wheelchair for which you have been assessed can then be used towards another wheelchair of your choice, for example, can be used to purchase light weight or sports wheelchairs that may not be available direct from the service. Telephone 01925 251445.

Car Adaptations Financial assistance may be available to adapt your car with specialist hoist, storage units, hand controls, seating or ramps. The disabled person must be receiving the higher rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment formerly known as Disability Living Allowance. Contact Motability on 020 7635 4800 or visit www.motability.co.uk. BAS(NW) are our local partner visit their website.

Temporary Wheelchair Loans WDP operate a loans service for wheelchairs, ramps, mobility scooters, crutches, 3 and 4 wheeled walkers from our Centre for Independent Living off Evelyn Street Tel 01925 240064.

Rail Ė Disabled Persons Assistance Northern offer a range of support/service initiatives including: Making Rail Accessible, Blue Assist and Mobility Scooter Travel. Almost all mainline trains and stations have facilities for disabled rail travellers. For more details, Tel 0800 200 6060 or visit www.northernrailway.co.uk

WHiA (Warrington Home Improvement Agency) A home improvement agency for older and disabled people. A not for profit organisation offering impartial free advice on home improvements, repairs, trusted contractors, funding, a handyperson service and much more. Telephone 01925 246812.

Care Call Emergency Alarm Scheme Warrington Borough Council operate a monitoring service for community alarms, telephones and pull cords. For more details telephone 01925 444239 or visit www.warrington.gov.uk

Smart Flat Ė Assistive Technology Centre WDP operate a show centre full of assistive technology products that can enable disabled people and carers to live more independently Tel 01925 240064.

Concessionary Travel Scheme Aimed at supporting access to public transport for disabled people and over 60ís. The Scheme entitle the pass holder to travel at half fare on journeys within the County of Cheshire. For more details contact WBC on 01925 444400.

Shopmobility Offers free use of mobility aids and equipment - scooters, electric and manual wheelchairs to people with severe temporary or permanent mobility problems. Town Centre tel 01925 231941, Warrington Market tel 01925 240855 and Birchwood tel 01925 822411.

Cinema Discount Scheme The CEA Card enables a disabled cinema guest to receive a complimentary ticket for someone to go with them when they visit a participating cinema. If you require an adjustment to visit a cinema because of your disability, cinema staff should make them for you whether you have a CEA Card or not. For more details Tel 01244 526 016 or visitwww.ceacard.co.uk

VAT Relief for Disabled People If youíre disabled or have a long-term illness, you will not be charged VAT on products designed or adapted for your own personal or domestic use. Also, you will not be charged VAT on: the installation and any extra work needed as part of this, repairs or maintenance and spare parts or accessories. For details about which products or services qualify visit www.gov.uk

Carers Leisure Pass The councilís carers leisure pass is free and offers access to all Livewire leisure facilities across Warrington to give carers a chance to improve their own health and wellbeing by going to the gym, swimming or using the IT suite - carers can pick whichever services they would like to use with the pass. Carers must be aged 16 or over and care for an adult who is resident in Warrington. Tel 01925 633 492 or email warrington.carers@wired.me.uk

Carers assessments If your wellbeing and day-to-day life is affected, ask us for a carers assessment so that we can help you to find services and support that can help you to look after yourself and the person you care for. Contact Warrington Borough Councils Adult Social Care First Response Team on 01925 443322 or visit www.warrington.gov.uk or for advice contact Warrington Carers Centre see below for more details Warrington Carers Centre Provides free support to Carers (including Parent Carers and Young Adult Carers in transition) Tel 01925 633 492 or email warrington.carers@wired.me.uk

Runcorn/Widnes Toll Bridges If you are a Blue Badge holder you can cross both bridges unlimited at no extra charge once you have successfully registered with merseyflow and paid a £5 registration fee Tel 01928 878878 or visit www.merseyflow.co.uk/blue-badge

National Trust Essential Companion Card Discounted and Free Entry The card makes it simple to bring one or two carers or companions with you, free of charge. Just show the card when you arrive, and your carer(s) or companion(s) wonít need to pay an entry fee. Itís in your name so you can bring whomever you like, but even if you donít have an Essential Companion card, you can still bring carers or companions free Ė the card just makes it quicker and simpler for you. Tel 0344 800 1895 or visit www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/access-for-everyone

Priority Services United Utilities Is free and could help you, your family or your friends benefit from additional support from us so we can respond quickly to those particular needs. If you would like to register for Priority Services or update your details, please: fill in our secure online form; or. call us on 0345 072 6093 or visit www.unitedutilities.com

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a tax-free benefit for people aged 16 or over who have not reached State Pension age. It can help with the extra costs caused by long term ill-health or a disability. For more details please visit www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/disability-and-sickness-benefits

Attendance Allowance (AA) is a tax-free benefit for people who are State Pension age or over, have a disability and need someone to help look after them. For more details please visit www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/disability-and-sickness-benefits

Employment and Support Allowance You may be able to get Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you cannot work because of illness or disability. For more details please visit www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/disability-and-sickness-benefits

Carers Allowance is extra money to help you look after someone with substantial caring needs. You could also get Carerís Credit so there will not be any gaps in your National Insurance record if you have to take on caring responsibilities. For more details please visit www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/disability-and-sickness-benefits